Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Snow Angels

A single snowflake can send my kids into hysterical delight.  They love snow!  I can write at this moment because my last two to head off to school for the day are outside in the thin blanket of snow.  Flakes are falling and I can hear the excitement and joy ...tongues stuck out to catch the falling gems.  They are bundled, ready for a blizzard, planning their afternoon of sledding and fort building.  They know it will stop soon ....but that doesn't wane their hope, their determination, their confidence that they've been blessed by this snowfall.
Phoebe was often the first out in the snow ....she loved it too, still does, I'm sure of it!  Our hope in God, in His constant blessings, unrelenting flow of grace and opportunity for conversion can be like that great hope snow brings out in my kids.  Of course the snow will melt and go away ....but oh it is so fun to play in it now ...and it will come again, maybe a long way off even, but most certainly it will come!  Of course challenges, trials and sorrow will come again ...but today is the joy!  Today is the gift, the assurance that life takes steps forwards, sometimes seemingly backwards, but always forwards when oriented to God ...because His orientation is not limited to north, south, east, west ....He is God, without constraints and limits.  His river of grace may seem to run dry, but I will find the running waters of it again ....and again ...and again!  I am certain of that.
Snow fell here on Christmas ...and then a week or so later.  I went to that space where she lies, her body confined.  I stood there and looked at that spot, and up at the tree above her with its great branch I see her running across barefoot. So often I want to give her something, a treat, a little treasure just for her from me.  Its a mothers way, to find that little special something that says "I notice!  I see you for who you are, outside the lot of all of you ...there is you, just you ...and I notice what fancies you."  The snow is untouched and I lay myself down, on top of her space, swing my arms and legs.  "There you go, Pheebs!  Like it!"  I stand and look at my gift to her, her snow angel ...and I hear her voice, her giggling voice ..."you are such a goof!, thanks mom, love you too!"  Sometimes the simplest things are the best things, the greatest gifts.  My snow angel melted, but Phoebe and I still ...still, share that moment in time!  What a gift ...an amazing, grace filled gift of a moment with someone I love and miss so deeply. 

No comments:

Post a Comment