Saturday, March 28, 2015

Handmaid VI

It's like holding your breath ... waiting for the passing.
But maybe things will change.  Prayers continue and we truly don't know the time or place ...and often not the circumstances.
I've combed through pictures in an effort to establish some type of order for my kids.  We have piles and piles of photographs.  I came across several of this special group of women, picnicing on the lawn one May.  We'd just prayed the rosary after our chaotic pilgrimage from parking lot to the beautiful statue of Blessed Mother.  The shock of bright red hair slowed me as I looked at the smiling face, just short of a giggle.  Little ones all around us.  It was indeed good to look at my friend and remember.
Sophie covers a lot of ground.  In a quiet, one on one way she spreads her love of God and urges everyone she meets to turn their face towards Him.  A few nights back I met with my two oldest friends.  One had flown in for a quick visit.  They'd met Sophie when Phoebe died and remembered her.  Her hair made her stand out, but what they recalled was her obvious faith, her devotion and confidence in God and her great love of the Blessed Mother.  She shared it with my two friends, searching for answers, so beautifully without passing any sense of judgment on them.  And sometimes, when we are trying to be faithful and good and right ...we can really come across in a way that makes people feel judged and convicted. I've felt that too sometimes ...and I know I've probably made others experience that with me, which I wish wasn't true.  But Sophie never makes people feel that way and which my friends voiced.
Sometimes people cover a lot of ground as a very public witness. Maybe some of you know of this woman,  Kara Tippets, who's own recent passing was expected, but evidenced such grace and trust in the eternal.
She's been a powerful witness to suffering and death.  And she'd voiced a beautiful plea to the young woman who chose her death this past fall.  Grab a cup of tea, and ponder, and read.

Losing Phoebe has been a painful and difficult walk for sure ...each day.  But faith offers an extraordinary opportunity to take each step forward ...whether towards life, or towards death ...trusting in the promise of eternity with Christ.
Death is never easy for those left behind, and suffering towards death is difficult and painful to watch.  But if we can wrap our minds just a bit, and open our hearts ...we don't have to be afraid.

Tomorrow, Palm Sunday, Christ enters Jerusalem, and for that one day, even the demons are subdued, unable to prompt and tempt people to hate Him.  Great praise and welcome are offered.  Palms are waved and laid on the ground in honor of his entrance.  ...and we know the story.  There is no Resurrection without the Crucifixion ...

Blessings to you, and please continue your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment